There is more concern over website security each week. So what can we do about helping our own website security?
On average 30,000 new websites are hacked every day. (Source: Forbes)
So while there is concern over this and the fact that many feel WordPress could be the issue, here are some tips and a detailed article about how to secure your website. In the years I have been designing websites there has only been 2 I have personally designed. Both of these were hacked after they had taken SEO ‘pay-per-click’ advertising with another company. I can not say why it made it easier to hack, but one of them had a Google search link directly going to a ‘inappropriate’ site. Not good. Malware was all over the site. So be vigilant.
Getting an SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) Certificate from your host will help and is becoming a requirement from Google to legitimize your business online.
So here are a few basic tips:
- Do not use Admin as your user name (choose something unique and not easy to guess) (not your name either)
- Keep your plugins and WordPress platform up to date
- Add security plugins for your needs (lilke WordFence)
- Monitor activity on your site to ensure there is no new users or activity
- Block IP addresses
- Back up your database so you can install a claean
Of course if you do get hacked, give us a call and we can help fix your website.